Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Saturday, May 7, 2016

T'Boli Paintings


Among the paintings I displayed for the Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Art Exhibition presented by the Chicago Public Library are four watercolors featuring the T'Bolis, one of the indigenous groups of the Philippines occupying Southern Cotabato in Mindanao Island. They are known for their colorful intricately woven costumes and material as well as elaborate ornamentations in their jewelry and headpieces. I wanted to feature these elements in my paintings.


Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Art Exhibition Blog

Here are the paintings;


T'Boli Woman, 2016
Watercolor on paper
by jojo sabalvaro tan
 
The T'Boli Woman watercolor painting was featured in my blog T'Boli Woman.
 
Ano and iyong tadhana, anak? (What is your destiny, my child?) 2016
Watercolor on paper
by jojo sabalvaro tan
With Ano ang iyong tadhana, anak ?, I wanted to make a statement about today's youth many of whom seem to place a lot more emphasis on the pursuit of leisure and beauty than their future.

 
T'Boli Woman Musician 2016
Watercolor  on paper
by jojo sabalvaro tan
 
This painting is of a T'Boli woman playing the hegelung, a wooden two-stringed lute. According to Wikipedia, 'the Tboli believed that they could learn to play the hegelung if they rubbed their fingers with an insect called a meglung and the leaves of the meglung vine because the names rhymed. They thought that rhyming names could help them acquire the skill to play the instrument.' This is one of my favorite T'Boli paintings since it exhibits the ornate costume and ornaments of the T'Boli woman.
 
Ayoko!! (I don't want to!!!) 2016
Watercolor on paper
by jojo sabalvaro tan
 
 
With this little T'Boli girl, I wanted to capture the petulance and irascibility of youth one can observe anywhere you are in the world.



I do hope by painting the indigenous people of the Philippines, I am able to feature them to the world and help protect their art, culture and traditions.







1 comment:

  1. Wow, those are beautiful! I wish you would have an exhibit in Metro Manila too.

    ReplyDelete