Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Saturday, April 30, 2016

The Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Exhibition 2016

Exhibition Flyer

Earlier this year, I was contacted via email to submit an application and some samples of my work for consideration for an art exhibition to celebrate the Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month in May 2016. The show is sponsored by the Chicago Public Library. I was reluctant to enter since I was still in Australia at the time and would be there for another three months so I would not have time to prepare. And then, there is always the underlying angst about my works not being good enough. I was encouraged to enter anyway and to my surprise my initial submission was accepted and I am going to be one of 11 artists that will be showing at the exhibition. The artwork  I submitted were those from my series of watercolors featuring the indigenous people of the Philippines, particularly those from the Cordillera Administrative Region in Northern Luzon which includes the Ifugaos and Kalingas.

Here are samples of my watercolors submitted for consideration for the Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month Exhibition:


I was very excited to be chosen to show at this art exhibition but I also quickly realized that I do not have enough works to display so I had some catch up painting to do. I also needed to see the amount of space I was allocated at the library to determine how much more watercolors I have to paint. Apparently, each artist was assigned to show at one of the public libraries in Chicago. I was designate to exhibit at the Sulzer Regional Library at the Lincoln Square neighborhood on the Northside of Chicago, the second largest and second busiest library in Chicago. The Harold Washington Library downtown is the largest and busiest. Thankfully, the wall space allocated was not that big and I only needed to augment my current paintings with just a few pieces.


I decided that I would feature my paintings of the Kalingas and Ifugaos as well as the T'boli tribe from South Cotabato in Southern Mindanao in the exhibit. I am particularly fascinated by these indigenous groups because of the woven fabrics they use in their costumes. This is one of the aspects I tried to highlight in these collection of paintings.


I had less than two months to prepare for the exhibition and between jet lag and bouts with various infections, I really needed to concentrate on painting. And, of course, there is that dreaded artist's block that creeps up when you are in a panic and on a deadline. There were days that no matter what I do, I can not think of what to paint or my paintings just turn out downright mediocre.

I eventually got out of my doldrums and rallied. All the paintings are done and I just need to get them framed and matted. Here is a preview of some of the other paintings for the exhibition.




Ano ang kahihinatnan mo, anak? (What will be your future, child?) -2016
Watercolor on watercolor paper
by jojo sabalvaro tan


Tattooed Kalinga Mother and Child (2016)
Watercolor on watercolor paper
by jojo sabalvaro tan
 


Installing the Igorot Exhibit
The Igorot Exhibit

The T'Boli Paintings Exhibit
The T'Boli Paintings Exhibit


 Note: You will notice some glare in the photos. The paintings are behind locked glass cases.

Here is the official news release on the exhibition from the Chicago Public Library:
 
 

 


Hope to see you there.


3 comments:

  1. Hello! I live near Sulzer Library and am in the library's neighborhood every Saturday. I stumbled on your watercolors on my way to a community gathering about Filipino American concerns earlier this month, and they've strategically put your watercolors near the meeting room's door. Maraming salamat for participating in the CPL's Asian Pacific American Heritage Month: It was a welcome surprise seeing Filipino work at a mainstream location, and that I was at the library for a Filipino gathering made it all the more relevant. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do appreciate your taking the time to comment about the exhibit. I was very honored to be able to represent the Philippines with my art during the AAPIHM and contribute to the promotion of our heritage. It is my goal to contribute in some small way to the appreciation and preservation of Philippine art and culture. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Hello! I live near Sulzer Library and am in the library's neighborhood every Saturday. I stumbled on your watercolors on my way to a community gathering about Filipino American concerns earlier this month, and they've strategically put your watercolors near the meeting room's door. Maraming salamat for participating in the CPL's Asian Pacific American Heritage Month: It was a welcome surprise seeing Filipino work at a mainstream location, and that I was at the library for a Filipino gathering made it all the more relevant. :-)

    ReplyDelete