Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Sunday, October 11, 2015

Contemporary Madonna and Child



Madonna and Child 2015
5.5" x 7.75"
Watercolor on 140# Arches watercolor paper plus gold leaf
by jojo sabalvaro tan



This is another Madonna and Child Painting I completed a few weeks ago. I am now on a mission of producing a painting for our 2015 Christmas card. I thought that I would go the more contemporary route this time. This painting was a little bit more playfully executed. 

First, I dropped a variety of colors on the paper and let them intermix and flow down the surface. To add more texture, I sprinkled salt on top of the still wet paint and when the paint completely dried out unexpected patterns materialized. I dusted off all the salt and then lightly sketched the Madonna and Child image on the paper using parts of the  textured painted surface to my advantage. I did some negative painting to enhance the figures and painted the faces. In negative painting, the subject is not painted directly. Instead, you paint around the shape of the image to produce a positive image. This technique is helped a lot by the background colors.  

I debated whether to add gold leafing to the halo which I ended up doing since I felt it elevated the painting. This painting took me a while since I was not used to negative painting and so it was not a natural process for me. But, I really liked how it turned out. I love the tender moment that Mary and Jesus shared in this painting. On a side note, I really have to quit watching a certain TV show since when I finished the painting, Mary's face reminded me of the lead character in the show.
Streams of paint treated with salt created a pleasant texture for the Madonna and Child image I started to showcase with negative painting.



 The painting in progress.



This painting is the second of the Madonna and Child paintings I did this year which is in contention for our Christmas card. The first one is the Kalinga Madonna and Child (below) featured on omy blogpost Kalinga Madonna and Child Painting.


"We never give more honour to Jesus than when we honour his Mother, and we honour her simply and solely to honour him all the more perfectly. We go to her only as a way leading to the goal we seek - Jesus, her Son."
--Saint Louis de Montfort

No comments:

Post a Comment