Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Friday, May 29, 2015

The Quarter Century Needlepoint Project


Peonies Needlepoint 13" x 13"
 by jojo sabalvaro tan
Completed May 2015
I was spring cleaning my studio and found this embroidery kit that I had put aside. I decided there and then that I would complete it before I start on any other project. It actually, did not take too long. I think the procrastination bug can make you believe that something is so difficult and time consuming when it really isn't. Finally, I stitched the last stitch to complete this needlepoint project I started more than 25 years ago.

I bought the needlepoint kit shortly after we purchased our current house and I had pictured myself sitting by the fireplace on a chaise lounge happily stitching away listening to my music on CDs or watching movies on my VCR and maybe chatting away with friends on the speaker of my cordless phone while drinking coffee brewed in my Mr. Coffee. Well, this needlepoint project and I went through some big changes through the years, we went from music on CDs to IPods, to watching movies on  DVDs and now Blu-rays or streaming through sites like Netflix on a flat screen TV, and I now keep in touch with friends on Facebook with my IPhone and IPads and drink coffee made on my Nespresso machine with coffee pods. So, my little project lived through a lot of changes but I think she came out of it intact and still beautiful. I wish I could say the same about me.

Needlepoint is an old art. It dates back to the Pharaohs. The technique requires stitching on a stiff open weave canvas using wool, silk, cotton or a combination of fibers. This project is closer to petit point in which the canvas is finer and of a higher thread count, meaning it needs more stitches per square inch.

The kit was from Candamar Designs and the design, I believe, is machine-printed on the canvas. Many needlepoint projects have hand painted designs. I used cotton embroidery floss instead of the normal wool yarn or crewel yarn. Gold thread was also used for accent. For the main part of the design, I used a continental tent stitch, a diagonal stitch that crosses the horizontal and vertical thread of the canvas. For the background, I did a quadruple-sized cross stitch which covered 4 squares.
"Continentalstitch-fixed" by Stefkar modified from a work by Velvet-Glove - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Continentalstitch.png. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.5 via Wikimedia Commons - http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Continentalstitch-fixed.png#/media/File:Continentalstitch-fixed.png
I'm so happy to have finally finished this UFO (Unfinished Object). It feels really good. Oops, I spoke too fast, I still have to make it into a pillow or frame it or even a stool cover, but I am determined to get that done sooner than later. There are many, many more UFOs lurching about our house. Some I have completely forgotten about. Let's see, where should I begin......

Detail of needlepoint project.

No comments:

Post a Comment