Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Monday, February 17, 2014

2013 Christmas Card

Madonna and Child 2013 9" x 10"
 Original watercolor on 140# Arches watercolor paper
by jojo sabalvaro tan
used for 2013 Christmas Card
For a few years now, it has been our tradition to have one of my Madonna and Child watercolor paintings featured on our Christmas card. We consider this a special gift to our family and friends, for the process of making each painting is a meditation and prayer to bring the blessings of the Almighty God to all that will receive it. For our 2013 Christmas Card, I painted 4 mother and child  watercolors to select from.



The first one I painted was inspired by an Native American Indian photo  of a mother carrying a baby in a papoose which featured an embroidered leather cover. The baby had a similar embroidered hood and was covered in an embroidered blanket. The decorations on the papoose, hood and blanket looked more European to me, perhaps influenced by trade.




Native American Mother and Child
Watercolor by jojo sabalvaro tan

Detail from Native American Mother and Child
Watercolor by jojo sabalvaro tan

The second painting I did, was my interpretation of  the Dalit Madonna by Jyoti Sahi with  more of a South East Asian or Indian influence.

Madonna and Child 2013  9"x 10"
Watercolor by jojo sabalvaro tan
after Jyota Sabi


The third painting, was my typical renaissance-style interpretation of the Madonna and Child. This time, I based it on  a painting by Italian painter Luca Signorelli. I usually show the paintings to close families and friends and this was the hands down choice for the 2013 card, until another inspiration hit me.
Madonna and Child 2013  9"x 10"
Watercolor by jojo sabalvaro tan

after Luca Signorelli


Some areas in the Philippines were hit by a super Typoon Yolanda or Haiyan, as it is known in the Western hemisphere, the strongest typhoon ever to have hit land. The devastation and loss was immense. Whole towns and cities in the Visayas region were wiped off the face of the earth. I decided to paint a Filipiniana Madonna and Child honoring those that were affected by this typhoon. The Madonna is wearing a typical Filipina attire called kimono-style baro't saya which usually features intricate embroidery. Hand embroidered baro't saya on pina (pineapple) or jusi  cloth are priced in the Philippines. After I finished painting this Filipina Mother and Child, I knew it was the clear choice for our 2013 Christmas Card. Now that you've seen all four Madonnas, which one is your choice?





2013 Christmas Card 6"x8"
The card was printed by Vistaprint on heavyweight white stock paper with gloss finish, ready for framing


The note that accompanied the card:

A very blessed Christmas to you all. For our 2013 Christmas Card, I painted a Filipiniana Mother and Child in watercolor in dedication and honor to those affected by the super typhoon Yolanda. Our hopes and prayers for  continued relief and salvation go with the victims and their families. We wish this Christmas finds all of you healthy, happy and looking forward to the new year and always cradled in the arms of the Lord.

1 comment:

  1. I like the Dalit-inspired version as to me it best conveys the unconditional love which is our birthright

    ReplyDelete