Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Thursday, April 19, 2012

Farmer's Market Here I Come




My bike Wihelmina with her wicker basket and new patchwork liner.

I wanted a basket for my new bike, Wilhelmina, to give it more of the Dutch bike-look. I am slowly accessorizing my bike and purchased a bell and some lights.  I also made it a handlebar bag/wristlet and a double pannier (featured in my earlier post Renew, Recycle and Reuse although I still have to get a rear rack. I can't wait to bike to our local farmers market and  stash the fresh fruits and vegetables I bought in my basket.  I purchased a wicker basket but it looked too plain so I decided to make it a basket liner. I made it from a patchwork of 4" x 4" square of scrap fabric from a quilt I made years ago. The squares were sewed together to make a panel each for the back, front and bottom of the basket. I made a paper pattern using the basket and cut out the panels with an 1/2" seam allowance and then sewed the pieces together. To be honest, I had to do some tweaking to get a better fit since my paper pattern was not as precise as it should be, I folded the top  of the liner so that it is even with the top of the basket and planned to attach it with E6000 glue which I found works really well and seems to hold everything in its place but I am beginning to detest the odor (or fumes) which takes days to dissipate. And now I read that it could cause cancer (although,  they do say that about just about everything nowadays). So, I sewed the liner on instead. I also made a coordinating fabric flower as a trim.


The fabric floral trim accented by a button

Now Wilhelmina and I are ready for our village farmer's market with a cute basket to put my fresh, organic finds.


During our travels abroad, I am always fascinated when we come across a farmer's market and would often want to peruse the offerings at the different areas of countries we are in. Most of the time, we are unable to buy anything since we are traveling but we are happily able to sample some of the goods. I love all the colors at the market with all the produce at their peak. You get a lot of local flavor and learn about local culture at farmers markets especially when they coincide with local feasts or fiestas. Most markets will features some type of entertainment such as  musicians or street performers.


A stall at a farmers market in Paris

A farmer's market consists of booths, stalls, stands or tables of individual vendors, mostly farmers, selling local produce, fruits, prepared food, flowers, clothing, household goods  and  even some local crafts. Set up in town squares or a designated covered marketplace, they used to be the norm before the advent of grocery stores and supermarkets.


More scenes from a Parisian Farmer's market








The farmers market in our village.

In the US, farmers markets started cropping up and are becoming more popular due to the increased interest in organic foods. In our little village, the weekly scheduled Friday market  get around 500 visitors. It is typically open starting late Spring to early Fall.



Wilhelmina and I can't wait for the farmers market to open. But first, we have to take a few more rounds around the block so I can improve my cycling skills and confidence.












No comments:

Post a Comment