Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mixed Media Collage

Rejoice, 2012
8" x 8"
by jojo sabalvaro tan
Mixed media collage
Acrylic paint, paper, fabric, scrapbooking supplies, glue, glitter
I decided to try my hand at mixed media collage. Peachy, a friend of mine, is very accomplished in this media and uses it to produce her beautiful art journals. I was inspired and encourage to follow her lead. While trolling the arts and crafts stores, I found an 8" x 8" primed wooden cradle art board that was prefinished with gesso in the clearance aisle. The side are 1" in depth. I knew, I wanted to use it for some kind of mixed media project. Mulling over the theme, I settled on my favorite subject - the Madonna and Child. I proceeded to sketch to get ideas going. Once I settled on a general drawing, I transferred the sketch onto the art board.

Unfortunately, I was so engrossed in creating this project and doing each step on the fly that I neglected to document the steps with photos.
Face Detail

I began by painting the face, neck and hair of the Mother and Child. This time, I used acrylic paints due to the gesso coating on the board which watercolor does not adhere to well. Daniel Smith makes a watercolor ground that supposedly you can apply to any surface and make them suitable for watercolors. I have yet to try it to see if it works. I then started tracing elements of the drawing on transfer paper and proceeded to cut fabric and scrapbook paper to size. I used glue stick to adhere them to the surface; starting with the bottom layer first which was the background, then the clothes and lastly, the veil. The halos were painted with metallic gold paint. I freeform cut pieces of paper for the tree branches and then attached paper flowers.   Some fine tuning was done with watercolor pencils, watercolors, colored pencils and Pitt artists pens.







I decided to additionally embellish the piece with acrylic rhinestones and lettering spelling out the word "Rejoice."







The sides of the board were painted a persimmon color picking up the color of one of the flowers. This piece  does not require framing. The entire piece was sealed with Mod Podge which I was not very happy with since it tended to buckle the paper. But, overall,  I am pleased enough with how this turned out to consider it a candidate for our 2012 Christmas Card.  This was so much fun, I think I will do it again. You guys should try it too.

2 comments:

  1. I love it Jo... Just beautifully serene !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daddie.... The family is missing you and adking when you are coming.

      Delete