Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Mother and Child Mixed Media Sculpture

Mother and Child Mixed Media Sculpture 2011
20" tall
Fabric, clay, wire, beads, buttons
by jojo sabalvaro tan

I made this Mother and Child Mixed Media Sculpture as another prototype for my ETSY shop. It really is a combination of doll making and sculpture. I had fun with creating this since I just started out with the vaguest of ideas and just figured out what to do along the way. It was a real creative process and at the same time my poor studio was turned over as I was looking for materials in my stash that would inspire me and that I could use. By the time I was done, the studio was a royal mess. Yikes.

I decided that I would make the body out of fabric stuffed with batting. To give it structure, I took a wire hanger and bent it into a general body shape that appealed to me. I wrapped the wire in batting to cover up any sharp points and then made a pattern for the body and cut the front and back out of cream colored material. I sewed the 2 sides together and turned it out and then inserted the wire frame. I then stuffed the body firmly with batting. The same process applied to the baby. 



I could not decide what to do with the faces, I wanted something different. So I decided to sculpt sort of a mask from FIMO modeling material. After I was satisfied with the faces, I baked the face mask in the oven at 265 degrees F for 30 minutes. The face masks were attached to the fabric using strong heavy duty glue and reinforced by stitching through the holes I made on the mask before baking.
i debated with myself whether to paint the face masks and decided not to for a hopefully, more avant garde look.










For the clothes, I used woven silk in stripes, checks and solids. It lent a very elegant ethnic feel to the piece. The mother has a headdress of the woven silk as well. I added hand strung beaded necklaces and earrings as accessories and a toggle button and beads to the outfit.



The sculpture stands about 20" tall. I love how this piece  turned out especially because it is a sculpture of my favorite subject to paint, the Madonna and Child, I am truly amazed I did this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment