Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sewing Caddy and Pincushion

Japanese Print Sewing Caddy with Pincushion
by jojo sabalvaro tan 2011

Since I opened up my Etsy shop, I am now always thinking about or in search of unique items I can make that I can sell in the shop. My latest project for the shop is this cute little sewing caddy, a small little purse that you can put your sew as you go supplies such as scissors, thimble, pin cushion, needles, pins and thread.

The materials I used were fabrics from my collection of Japanese prints, felt that I used for lining, beads for embellishment, batting for the pin cushion  and the handles and the normal stuff like thread, needle and scissors.

The caddy is 4" x 2.5" x 3" with a base of 3" x 4". The pin cushion is 2" in diameter.

Here's an excerpt from the description of the caddy in the shop:


The interior fabric is made from a red Japanese floral print. Both the caddy and the pin cushion are trimmed with red glass beads. For ease in carrying from work area to work area , I added double handles that were made with glass beads as well. This pretty little caddy is ideal for keeping your needles, thimble, embroidery scissors and thread in place as you sew on the go. The pin cushion is attached to the base with velcro and is detachable. The caddy opening is secured with velcro as well.

This is an ideal gift for any sewing enthusiast in your family and is cute little addition to any sewing area.



Top View
The caddy's interior
I basically put together the components on the sewing machine except for the side panels which I attached with a blanket stitch using red pearl cotton. All the beads are hand sewn.  

Tip: after I sewed the wrong side of the panel to the wrong side of the back panel of the components and inverted it to the front side, an opening is left . Instead of sewing this opening with needle and thread I used fabric glue. I felt it was not a risk since this item will never see the washing machine (hopefully).I found the fabric glue very sturdy after it dried. I also used the fabric glue instead of pins.


I think I will make more. Who knows, it may be a best seller.

No comments:

Post a Comment