Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Vanishing Man

I am featuring two paintings I did for my watercolor painting class. The objective is to do portraiture and textures in watercolor. The instructor provided a reference photo of an African medicine man. Here is how my painting turned out. 


African Medicine Man by jojo sabalvaro tan 2010
Watercolor on paper 9 1/2" by 7 1/2"

After painting the African Medicine Man, I was inspired to do another painting with a similar theme. This one is of a native tribesman from the Mountain Province of the Philippines.This man belongs to the Ifugao group who were the principal architects of the most famous rice terraces in the world. Constructed on steep mountain sides between 2000 and 3000 years ago and encompassing 100 square miles, these terraces have been called one of the wonders of the ancient world. This is my tribute to one of the vanishing breeds of Filipinos.
The Vanishing Breed by jojo sabalvaro tan 2010
Watercolor on paper 8 1/4" by 7 1/2"



From Wikipedea:

The Banaue Rice Terraces (TagalogHagdan-hagdang Palayan ng Banawe) also called Payew, are 2000-year old terraces that were carved into the mountains ofIfugao in the Philippines by ancestors of the indigenous people. The Rice Terraces are commonly referred to by Filipinos as the "Eighth Wonder of the World".] It is commonly thought that the terraces were built with minimal equipment, largely by hand. The terraces are located approximately 1500 meters (5000 ft) above sea level and cover 10,360 square kilometers (about 4000 square miles) of mountainside. They are fed by an ancient irrigation system from the rainforests above the terraces. It is said that if the steps are put end to end it would encircle half the globe.
Locals to this day still plant rice and vegetables on the terraces, although more and more younger Ifugaos do not find farming appealing, often opting for the more lucrative hospitality industry generated by the Rice Terraces.

Banaue Rice Terraces, Ifugao Province, Philippines
from Wikipedea


No comments:

Post a Comment