Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Thursday, July 15, 2010

Painting of Peonies


For my next painting under the mentorship of Maritza Bermudez, I chose to paint peonies. As I was sketching the flowers, I almost gave up. There were so many petals and I realized the color value and tints will be a challenge. The wrong tint or value may result in the flower looking like a bunch of different shapes instead of a flower.... But, I forged on with the challenge and I am happy with the results. I always view my painting as a continuous learning process.

The main color I used was Opera Pink and I added shades and accents of quinacridone magenta, permanent rose and carbazole violet. I painted the flowers mostly in wet-on-wet and approached the flowers petal by petal. I used the negative painting technique for most of the leaves.

The peony is named after Paeon (also spelled Paean), a student of Asclepius, the Greek god of medicine and healing. Asclepius became jealous of his pupil; Zeus saved Paeon from the wrath of Asclepius by turning him into the peony flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment