Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Friday, July 23, 2010

Italian Religious Art

The religious art that were created during the Medieval and Renaissance times inspire me very much. I love the works of Giotto, Martini, Michaelangelo, Botticelli, Da Vinci and Raphael, to name a few. I love visiting Italy and seeing their works in person. I feel a certain affinity with these artists. It is probably why I gravitate towards creating religious art myself, even just by trying to replicate the works of these great artists, in order to study them.

I believe my interest was also influenced by my father who painted a number of Last Supper scenes sometimes featuring likeness of family members as saints. He also painted and sculptured Agony in the Garden scenes, especially after someone close to him died, a way to deal with his grief.

I started painting Madonna and Child subjects and decided to send them to friends and family as my Christmas Cards. It was so well received that folks started collecting them. I painted these Madonnas in different styles but my favorites are those where I interpreted in watercolor Medieval and Renaissance Madonna and Child paintings.

This was the painting I used for my 2009 Christmas card. It is based on the work of Raphael entitled Madonna and Child with Book that I saw at the Norton Art Museum in Pasadena, California.

I

Below is my painting inspired by Nardo di Cione's work entitled Madonna and Child which is my favorite work at the Milwaukee Art Museum in Wisconsin. I used gold leafing on the background.

I love Sandro Botticelli and this is a painting I did based on his work entitled Madonna della Loggia that I admired at the Uffizzi Gallery in Florence, Italy.


2 comments:

  1. Your designs are so lyrical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.... But I still would love to be as spontaneous as you in your artworks.

    ReplyDelete