Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Victorian Farm House Painting





This is one of our last projects in my watercolor workshop with world-reknowned watercolor artist, Dick Shipley.We resume classes again in the fall. We were given the reference material for the Victorian Farmhouse in sepia tones and were instructed to reproduce it using only three colors from our palette. I chose cadmium red, quinacridone gold and French ultramarine for my colors, knowing that with this basically primary color grouping I will be able to reproduce many of the colors and shades I wanted. I did a light wash of quinacridone gold on the entire painting and that came out a pale yellow. Then, I dropped in all the darkest values in French Ultramarine, using the cadmium red to even darken the values. For the foliage, I mixed the gold and the blue in varying proportions to get the greens. I used the cadmium red on the roof and touched it with both the quinacridone gold and French ultramarine to vary the color and value. I also used the red and some golds as accent. You will find them in the eaves among other places.

No comments:

Post a Comment