Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Galapagos Green Sea Turtle



Here is my painting from this week's workshop. It is of a Galapagos Sea Turtle. The instructor had suggested that we were going to paint a Koala bear for one of our class projects. And I asked if we can do a sea turtle. He found a great image of a sea turtle in www.gettyimage.com. It was so beautuful and colorful. During our entire class, we discussed color and all the possible ways we can add texture and dimension to the painting. There was sea salt and common table salt, spritzing with water, scraping with the palette knife, saran wrap, sponging, sanding with sand paper and many more. My classmates and I were all intimidated to start the painting since it is turning out to be quite complicated. I got a lot of ribbing for suggesting the subject matter.


At home, once I got started with my painting, I really enjoyed it. It was fun working with the colors of the turtle and trying out all the different techniques. If I paint another one, I will use deeper values on my turtle colors. All the class paintings turned out great and got great critiques. Everyone tried a different technique of texturing on their painting. I used salt and some spritzing and the scrub brush. The instructor even used a plastic bread wrapper - crumbs and all. I think this was our best painting week as a group.We were all pretty pleased with the results including the instuctor. We are all looking forward to seeing our turtles on display in the gallery's front window in November.


Some information about the GALAPAGOS SEA TURTLE from Wikipidea


The Galápagos Green Turtle (Chelonia mydas agassisi) is a subspecies of the Green Turtle (Chelonia mydas). It is endemic to the tropical and subtropical waters of the Pacific Ocean, They are often categorized as one population of the east Pacific Green Turtle. This title is shared with the other Green Sea Turtle nesting populations inhabiting the Pacific Ocean. More specifically they are referred to as the Black Sea Turtle due to their unique dark pigmentation. The Galápagos Green Turtle is the only population of Green Sea Turtle to nest on the beaches of the Galápagos Islands and this fact is the derivative of their name.

It has been difficult for researchers to obtain valid information on the lifestyles of the Galápagos Green Turtle due to their continuous migrations and submergence in the ocean. The Galápagos Green Turtle, along with all other population of Green Sea Turtle, is listed as endangered on the IUCN Red List of threatened species. All populations are still suffering reductions in numbers despite the many conservation efforts being practiced


No comments:

Post a Comment