Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Ceviche Recipe Quest



After I tasted the shrimp ceviche at Guava's Restaurant in Westmont, Illinois (see my 4/25/2010 post), I decided to go on a quest for the best shrimp ceviche recipe. I looked through my collection of cookbooks and then through a number of websites with many variations on the recipe. I ended up combining several recipes for the final one that I used to make the shrimp ceviche for Mother's Day. It was a definite hit!


Shrimp Ceviche

Ingredients
2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
4 quarts water
4 tbsps Kosher salt, plus a dash or two for final seasoning
1 c fresh lime juice
1 c fresh lemon juice, plus juice of one lemon for final seasoning
1/2 c fresh orange juice
2 cups finely chopped red onion
2 c cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced into 1/4 in pieces
4 Serrano chiles, seeded and finely chopped
2 c tomatoes, seeded and diced
3 Haas Avocado, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1/2 in pieces
3/4 c chopped cilantro leaves, plus some whole leaves for garnish

In a large pot, bring to a boil 4 quarts of water, salted with 4 tablespoons Kosher salt. Once the water comes to a boil, add the shrimp to the pot and cook for 1 minute to 2 minutes max and immediately turn off the heat. Let the shrimp sit until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Remove shrimp from the water with a slotted spoon and place into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking.

Once completely cooled, drain the shrimp. Cut each piece of shrimp in half, place shrimp in a large stainless steel bowl. Add lemon, lime and orange juices. Cover and refrigerate for a half hour.

Stir in red onions, cucumber and chiles. Refrigerate for at least another hour.

Prior to serving, peel, seed and cube the avocado into 1/2 pieces and squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon on it. Stir in the diced tomatoes, avocado, cilantro into the shrimp mixture. Add the juice of 1 lemon and a salt to taste as final seasoning. Garnish with whole cilantro leaves.

I served the ceviche in a large decorative bowl and martini glasses for the guest to help themselves to their individual servings. I've also used shot glasses for smaller servings.

This recipe serves 16 and more, if using shot glasses.


Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment