Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Wednesday, April 21, 2010

My Watercolor Journal


One of my goals is to create a travel journal in watercolor. I decided to start out by going back to our previous trips and peruse our old albums. It turned out to be a great process since KRuds and I are able to reminisce about our trips and remember the feeling of actually being there again. The journal page shown is of our trip to Beijing in 1999. Here I painted KRuds with the Great Wall in the background, the Forbidden City and the Temple of Good Harvest. On my next journal, I will go for heavier weight paper to avoid buckling with the washes. This one is 6"x 12", 130lbs and spiral bound. I thought I would not have a problem with buckling since the paintings are small. Surprisingly, it held up to using a scrubber. I use a large bulldog clip to hold down the pages.

A word on 1999:
1999 was a special year since I got to see many UP Prep '65 classmates for the first time in almost 30 years or more - in LA while visiting Daddie Albaladejo Matic during one of my business trips and in NY for the first official function of our classmate, Linglingay Fonacier Lacanlale, as Consul General. It is definitely one of the more memorable years in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment