Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Boise Cascade Office Products Friendship Quilt



I thought, I'd share with you this quilt that I made after I retired from Boise Cascade Office Products (now OfficeMax) after completing 28 years of service.

After I retired, I joined the Jo's Little Women Club at A Touch of Amish, a quilt shop in Barrington, Illinois. It was a combination quilt and Civil War history class. We made quilts using Civil War reproduction fabrics and patterns by quilt and fabric designer Jo Morton. My quilt consisted of 16 six inch blocks of various muted color floral print fabrics and a light beige print center for signatures. I always use 100% cotton fabrics and I did not pre-wash since this quilt will be a wall hanging.

Since I only had 16 blocks to work with, the most difficult part is deciding who among my friends at Boise Cascade Office Products should be included in the quilt. I decided that I should choose the ones that represented the highlights of my career and life at the company.

I constructed all the blocks first. I had fun with this process since the memories just came flooding in as I was sewing the pieces together and thinking about the persons who would be signing the blocks. After I completed all the blocks, I then mailed it to my friends across the country, along with the permanent brown ink fabric marker and illustrated instructions on where and how to sign the block. I also provided a SASE so they can return the signed blocks to me.

I received all the blocks in no time. Not only did they sign it but they each also added a meaningful sentiment. I put the blocks together separated and bordered by 1 1/2 inch sashing of green floral material. I framed the sashed blocks with a wide border using a muted coral print fabric. I then added the cotton batting and a backing of the same fabric I used as the wide border. Then I hand quilted the blocks and free motion machine quilted the wide border in a meandering pattern. After quilting, I bound the quilt with the green print fabric I used for the sashing. Binding is actually my 2nd favorite of all the steps in making a quilt since it signals I am almost done. My favorite step is picking out the fabrics. I love how the quilt turned out and the memories it brings.

You may be able to find the original pattern for this quilt from Jo Morton - Prairies Hands Pattern at: http://www.jomortonquilts.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment