Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - a Book Review

I just started reading this book last night and I love it..... I do not think that it will end up in the the realm of English classics written by the Brontes and Jane Austen but it is immensely entertaining and heartwarming so far. I know this may be a little too early to give an opinion on a book since I have only read 107 out of 290 pages but I am really enjoying it. The story, mostly about the German occupation of the Island of Guernsey, is told in a collection of letters from members of an impulsively formed literary society to an author in London. I wish I could have been a member but I really would not have wanted to be in the midst of a conquering army's occupied area. These folks made the most of an unpleasant situation, maintained their sense of humor and endured through their developed love of books and each other. There is quote in the book that I really liked. I googled it and discovered that it is a verse from a poem by Matthew Arnold (1822-1888).


Is it so small a thing
To have enjoy'd the sun,
To have lived light in the spring,
To have loved, to have thought, to have done;
To have advanced true friends, and beat down baffling foes;

My answer to that is a resounding, "No!" I'm going back to my book now and get more pages in before I leave for my watercolor class.

If you'd like to learn more about the book check out this site: http://books.google.com/books?id=eK0SnBnpkA8C&lpg=PP1&dq=The%20Guernsey%20Literary%20and

%20Potato%20Peel%20Pie%20Society&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

No comments:

Post a Comment