Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Thursday, April 29, 2010

Painting a Field of Flowers vs Doctors & Hospitals

Ah, why do the practical stuff in life such as doctors and hospitals interfere with one's pursuit of being a polymath. Anyway, the one year anniversary of my open heart surgery is fast approaching so my doctors are eager to see how I am doing... In the last few days, I had appointments with both my internist who ordered a battery of blood tests ("Cholesterol levels ok but could use improvement.") and my cardiologist ("I'm happy with your progress, just continue whatever you are doing.") The cardiologist has also ordered another liver function test ("We need to watch your liver enzymes.") and a stress test ("Happy One Year Anniversary.") And, of course, the comment I always wait for from all my doctors, any time, any day.... all together now - "Eat Less, Exercise More." Overall, both doctors are pleased with my progress, so I am happy.

Just as things on the medical front are quieting down, my brother returned from his doctor's appointment the other day needing another angiogram (his third!). So it was another whole day spent at the hospital while my brother was having his procedure done. It gets bad when the nurses and aides start to recognize you, and you are not even the patient. Thankfully, we got the best news possible, everything is ok with my brother's heart.

Well, all of these doctors and hospital time took away from my painting time. Again, I wish I could have done another field of flowers painting to submit for this week's critique. I should just be thankful that I can call this painting finished. The instructor may not think so, but isn't art in the eyes of the beholder?

Check out the "before" version on my April 23, 2010 post.
P.S.
The critique of my Field of Flowers did not turn out too bad as I was the only one in class who did a fair amount of negative painting, which was the teaching objective of this particular painting, apparently. But, I did get busted for submitting a still wet painting. Oh, well.

No comments:

Post a Comment