Mission Statement

This blog journals my quest of art, whether it is a piece of work that is inherent in nature or one created by artists known or unknown or that I created myself. During this search, I have come to appreciate the magnificence and generosity of God who in his infinite wisdom surrounded us with exquisiteness everyday...everywhere and inspired our human spirit to create beauty that feeds our bodies and souls. Come join me on my journey to find art through my travels and my own creative endeavors. Maraming salamat.

All rights to all posts and contents on this blog, including photos and artwork are reserved by jojo sabalvaro tan.






Saturday, April 24, 2010

Afternoon Tea Party





An afternoon tea party is one of my favorite parties to give. There is a certain traditional casual elegance to it that really appeals to me. And I love how it inspires conversation among the partakers. At one point, a long time ago, I wanted to go into the afternoon tea business, catering to bridal showers and other celebrations. Over the years, I have collected quite a cache of tea party paraphanelia - a lot, I received as gifts from friends and family who appreciate my love for tea parties.

Today, I had one of those tea parties here at home for my girlfriends from my former workplace, Boise Cascade Office Products (now OfficeMax). It surprised us how much we remembered of old co-workers even going back to the mid-70s. We had quite a laugh about how different things were when we first started at Boise in 1976 - it was the time of IBM punch cards, columnar pads, cigarette smoking in the office and free health insurance.

Any way, back to the tea party. I find tea parties simple to prepare. For this one, I served two kinds of tea - Peach and Berry Nice. I use loose tea so I provided tea strainers. I used my mom's old Royal Albert Flowers of the Month tea set with the month on the cups corresponding to the birth month of my guests. They all thought this was a nice touch.


I made my scones from an old recipe and kept it plain - served with Devonshire cream, lemon curd and cherry preserves. For sandwiches I made, cheese pimento, ham and pepper jack cheese with thin slices of red radish, chicken salad with thin slices of tomato, egg salad on pumpernickle bread and an open faced shrimp sandwich.


Open-faced Shrimp Sandwich Recipe



Ingredients:

Slice of French Bread
Olive-Pimento cream cheese spread (soften cream cheese, add chopped olives and chopped pimento, salt and pepper to taste)
Thinly sliced tomatoes
Mayonnaise
Cooked shrimp, small
Capers
Lemon zest
Fresh lemon juice
Tabasco sauce
Parsley leaf

Spread olive-pimento cream cheese spread on a slice of French bread, top with thinly sliced tomato, put a small dollop of mayonnaise on top of tomato, pile shrimp on top, garnish with capers, lemon zest and parsley. Add a drop of Tabasco sauce and lemon juice to enhance flavor.




I ordered a variety of mini pastries and butter cookies from a bakery in Geneva, Illinois called Cocoa Bean . Check them out at http://www.cocoabeangeneva.com/. To round it off, I also served some Godiva chocolates and sparkling pomegranate wine.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome afternoon tea party!! This is really great and I want to implement some of your ideas for my tea party. It will be arranged at one of amazing DC wedding venues. Thanks for such great ideas on tea party. Will invite all my dear ones there for the day!

    ReplyDelete